viernes, 26 de febrero de 2010

Never Let Me Go


by Kazuo Ishiguro

Recently I have found that books usually tend to win me over or lose me completely within their first few pages. Here's one that managed the former very easily, with its beautiful narration and thin shroud of mystery. It begins innocently enough, with the adult Kathy telling her story of growing up in an English preparatory school. Still, one can tell that there's something hidden in the recount that is a little bit... off. I am reluctant to reveal anything more about the plot, as I feel much of my enjoyment of this book came from knowing nothing about it beforehand. Ishiguro manages to give an extremely convincing voice to an unlikely class of characters. Upon finishing, one might protest that certain elements were left unexplained. I claim that by neglecting to provide answers the author adds to the strength and credibility of the narration. That is, the questions the reader has are questions that the narrator would never think to ask. Ishiguro remains defiantly faithful to his characters' perspectives, and in doing so denies his readers immediate gratification in favor of a more affecting outcome. Read this book!

No hay comentarios: